--detect-renamed for mac users : proposition of a modification

Benibur mail1 at sonadresse.com
Tue Jan 11 13:04:50 MST 2011

Hello,

Object of my mail :
1/ stick a problem of incompatibylity between 2 patches (fileflags.diff &
detect-renamed.diff)
2/ proposition of a correction

I wanted to run rsync on a mac (OS X 10.6.5) with the --detect-renamed
option.
I therefore tried to compile rsync with the 3 relevant patches :
 - fileflags.diff
 - crtimes.diff
 - detect-renamed.diff

But the patch detect-renamed.diff is not compatible with one of the
modifications of fileflags.diff
The problem is minor :

a) fileflags.diff inserts "extern int force_change;"
line 33
	diff --git a/compat.c b/compat.c
	--- a/compat.c
	+++ b/compat.c
	@@ -42,9 +42,11 @@ extern int checksum_seed;
	 extern int basis_dir_cnt;
	 extern int prune_empty_dirs;
	 extern int protocol_version;
	+extern int force_change;
	 extern int protect_args;
	 extern int preserve_uid;
	 extern int preserve_gid;

b) detect-renamed.diff overlaps the previous hunk of fileflags.diff :
line 36 :
	diff --git a/compat.c b/compat.c
	--- a/compat.c
	+++ b/compat.c
	@@ -42,6 +42,7 @@ extern int checksum_seed;
	 extern int basis_dir_cnt;
	 extern int prune_empty_dirs;
	 extern int protocol_version;
	+extern int detect_renamed;
	 extern int protect_args;
	 extern int preserve_uid;
	 extern int preserve_gid;

c) The solution in my case was to modify detect-renamed.diff :
	diff --git a/compat.c b/compat.c
	--- a/compat.c
	+++ b/compat.c
	@@ -42,6 +42,7 @@ extern int checksum_seed;
	 extern int prune_empty_dirs;
	 extern int protocol_version;
	 extern int force_change;
	+extern int detect_renamed;
	 extern int protect_args;
	 extern int preserve_uid;
	 extern int preserve_gid;
Then everything works fine.

This solution is ok for me but this is not a long-lasting solution since it
only works for people who use the patch fileflags.diff.

==> the solution would be to modify fileflags.diff so that the insertion of
"extern int force_change;" in compat.c do not overlap with de hunk of
detect-renamed.diff
The problem is that I can not suggest a solution since i am not enought
aware of the patch mecanism.

But if anyone could find a solution it could be great to include this on in
the next release so that mac users could use detect-renamed.diff

Thank you !

Benjamin ANDRE