rsync not reporting diskfull error

Henri Shustak henri.shustak at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 15:08:18 MST 2011

Essentially, I am curious to if any one using rsync 3.0.7 on Mac OS (10.6) Server has experienced an out of disk space error and not had a message similar to the following reported :

> rsync: mkstemp "/Volumes/backup_volume/backups/Section.inprogress/to_backup/file_for_which_there_is_not_enough_space.n3pq0e" failed: No space left on device (28)
> rsync_v3.0.7(33235) malloc: *** error for object 0xa: pointer being freed was not allocated
> *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (22413 bytes received so far) [sender]
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(601) [sender=3.0.7]

Instead have you only seen something similar to the following :

> "rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes to socket [sender]: Broken pipe (32)
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (3225054 bytes received so far) [sender]
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(601) [sender=3.0.7]"

I am attempting to reproduce the message above with no luck and was wondering if anyone on this list has seen this kind of message without the "No space left on device (28)" message.