rsync pauses

Leen Besselink leen at consolejunky.net
Wed Aug 31 09:32:12 MDT 2011

On 08/31/2011 04:38 PM, Justin T Pryzby wrote:
> I assume it's doing I/O, you can start a strace on the process to see
> for sure.  Note that the rsync client usually forks a few times, so
> you may want to strace all of them (strace -p X -p Y -p Z), or launch
> the command under strace (strace -f CMD ARGS).

Hi,

Well, I do have 2 hints.

You have to remember, it could be on either side that it is doing the I/O

And it could be other I/O on the same system which is slowing it down.

My guess is, if you have '-v --progress' and you rsync to an empty
directory, you might not find that it would pause.

Just adding --progress might give you the information you are looking
for already anyway.