in/exclude[=] and multiple sources

Ken Gillett emailist at ukgb.net
Sat Aug 20 08:59:14 MDT 2011

On 19 Aug 2011, at 18:35, Steven Levine wrote:

> In <CE4BCF0B-F15A-4665-A5A7-DE3C51183A00 at ukgb.net>, on 08/19/11
>   at 11:49 AM, Ken Gillett <emailist at ukgb.net> said:
>
> Hi Ken,
>
>> I still think the docs should explain you can use either form.
>
> It does.  The first paragraph of the OPTIONS section states
>
> <snip>
>       rsync uses the GNU long options package. Many of the  com-
>       mand  line  options  have  two variants, one short and one
>       long.  These are shown below, separated  by  commas.  Some
>       options  only have a long variant.  The = for options that
>       take a parameter  is  optional;  whitespace  can  be  used
>       instead.
> </snip>

I stand corrected. Since I know about the long and short options concept, I guess my brain just filtered out the rest without me knowing.

> As stated in the second paragraph of the FILTER RULES section
>
> <snip>
>       As  the  list  of  files/directories to transfer is built,
>       rsync checks each name to be transferred against the  list
>       of  include/exclude patterns in turn, and the first match-
>       ing pattern is acted on:  if it  is  an  exclude  pattern,
>       then  that  file  is  skipped; if it is an include pattern
>       then that filename is not skipped; if no matching  pattern
>       is found, then the filename is not skipped.
> </snip>
>
> Mentally, I replace references to file and filename to file/directory,
> because that's really what is meant.

Knowing what I now know, I can understand what that is saying, but when trying to figure out the whole 'relative' path thing for includes and excludes and multiple sources, it wasn't that clear to me. Or many others in fact since the 'Net is littered with questions about problems with getting these paths correct. Still, glad to know I had  worked it out correctly:-)

Ken  G i l l e t t