in/exclude[=] and multiple sources

Steven Levine steve53 at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 19 11:35:24 MDT 2011

In <CE4BCF0B-F15A-4665-A5A7-DE3C51183A00 at ukgb.net>, on 08/19/11
   at 11:49 AM, Ken Gillett <emailist at ukgb.net> said:

Hi Ken,

>I still think the docs should explain you can use either form.

It does.  The first paragraph of the OPTIONS section states

<snip>
       rsync uses the GNU long options package. Many of the  com-
       mand  line  options  have  two variants, one short and one
       long.  These are shown below, separated  by  commas.  Some
       options  only have a long variant.  The = for options that
       take a parameter  is  optional;  whitespace  can  be  used
       instead.
</snip>

>Are there ANY situations when either form will NOT work?

Baring defects, no.

>So one can think of rsync working on each source in turn and applying all
>the include and exclude options to each source directory as it works on
>that source. That's what I already surmised so thanks for the
>confirmation.

As stated in the second paragraph of the FILTER RULES section

<snip>
       As  the  list  of  files/directories to transfer is built,
       rsync checks each name to be transferred against the  list
       of  include/exclude patterns in turn, and the first match-
       ing pattern is acted on:  if it  is  an  exclude  pattern,
       then  that  file  is  skipped; if it is an include pattern
       then that filename is not skipped; if no matching  pattern
       is found, then the filename is not skipped.
</snip>

Mentally, I replace references to file and filename to file/directory,
because that's really what is meant.

The man page contains a lot of information, so it's easy enough to miss
stuff even when one is looking for it specifically.

Steven