rsync, trailing slash, and --delete

BJ Quinn bjquinn at seidal.com
Thu Aug 11 13:06:23 MDT 2011

I'm trying to rsync a folder like so -

rsync -aP --delete /home/share_20110801 /lastbackup/ share

Under the /lastbackup folder there is a "share" folder. I'd like to rsync all the contents of the "share _20110801" folder directly under the the "share" folder under /lastbackup. I know I can add the trailing slash to the source directory to accomplish this, but then as I understand it --delete won't work in that top-level directories deleted in the source won't be deleted in the destination. Is there any way to rsync from a folder to a differently named folder without breaking --delete?

Thanks!

-BJ Quinn