Purpose of --checksum-seed ?

Andrew Gideon c182driver1 at gideon.org
Wed Aug 10 16:19:07 MDT 2011

I'm trying to understand the point of the --checksum-seed option.  As I
understand it from a little reading, checksums are not cached over
executions of rsync.  So...what is the point of fixing the seed?

Is this in support of patches which *do* support caching of checksums?
I've read about caching these in files and in xaddr.  Is there a "best
solution" for caching checksums?

I'm asking because one particular volume, when I added the --checksum
option, went from 11m37.520s to 290m22.423s.  If I could cut that down,
this would be a good thing.

On the other hand, the reason I'm switching to checksum as opposed to the
timestamp approach is to catch files that people are deliberately
"backdating" to avoid the changes being seen.  I'm unclear how caching
checksums doesn't cause exactly that problem (since a cached checksum
means that the file isn't checked for changes each time rsync runs).

I guess I'm vague on a lot of the ideas around the of checksums.
Enlightenment would be welcome.

Thanks...

	Andrew