can't create a local mirror

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Sat Sep 25 14:22:29 MDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 13:16 -0700, Tim Hanson wrote:
> I either have a problem with rsync or it is not intended to do what I am
> asking it to do.
>
> I am trying to mirror a copy of /home/foo to a local usb drive.  The copy is
> made, but the destination does not appear to be deleting files I have deleted
> on the source.  Here is the command line I am using (part of a script I use to
> do this and other housekeeping chores):
>
> As root:
>
> rsync -av --progress --delete --exclude /home/foo/.local/share/Trash \
> --log-file=/home/foo/Desktop/$(date +%Y%m%d)_rsync.log.usb$disk \
> /home/foo /media/usb$disk
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Check the log file for any relevant error messages.  In particular, if
the sender gets an error that could result in the omission of existing
source files from the file list, deletion will be skipped.  If this
occurs, rsync will print the message,
"IO error encountered -- skipping file deletion".

--
Matt