rsync errors

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Tue Sep 21 02:28:21 MDT 2010

Running Ubuntu 10.04.1 and rsync 3.0.7-1. Used rsync successfully for
over a year for backups. Recently there was a kernel upgrade to
2.6.32-25. Don't know if that has any bearing. When I tried to run a
backup today rsync failed with the error message:

sending incremental file list
rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes to socket [sender]:
Broken pipe (32)
rsync: mkdir "/media/disk/10.04laptop" failed: No such file or directory
(2)
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at main.c(595) [Receiver=3.0.7]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (9 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(601)
[sender=3.0.7]

/var/log/syslog just showed the above message. Searched on the message
and got one hit that said it was because a FAT32 partition had a size
limit. I doubt that I've come close to that.

Couldn't find anything in this list's archives that matched the error
message. Did I miss something?

The command that has been working until now is:

sudo rsync -vaHz --exclude '/proc' --exclude '/sys' --exclude '*.iso'
--exclude '/home/holtzm/Documents/*.iso' --exclude '/media' /.
/media/disk/10.04laptop

I'm at a loss as to how to proceed. any pointers appreciated.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279