Intermittent rsync Issues

Mac User FR macuserfr at free.fr
Thu Sep 16 07:10:56 MDT 2010

Hi!

Interesting subject. Since a week now I'm trying to solve the same
problem on a very precise configuration.

In my company we have some wired computers and some wireless ones. All
of them under Windows XP SP3 with all security updates. They are
backed up in a FreeNAS box under FreeNAS 0.7.1, so with rsync server
3.0.7. Clients run under the last cwRsync 4.0.5, so with cygwin 1.7.6
and rsync 3.0.7. The model rsync command used is:

rsync -aR --link-dest="/lastest" --link-dest="/lastbutone" --link-
dest="/lastbuttwo" --chmod=ugo=rwX directories_to_backup
172.20.30.194::module/backup

All computers backup fine, except one. I suspect a Windows update to
break some compatibility with it's Netgear WG311v2 PCI wireless card
(that have crap drivers). In this way, this computer can do anything
on the network (browse, ftp with large files, imap mail, ...) BUT rsync.

Well, rsync connection is OK. At the start of the command with -vvv
option I can see it's browsing the hierarchy of files and making hard-
links of existing files without problem. But, at the first different
file found, it sends the file (or at least partially, I can see there
is network activity) and then the network connection drops with error
12 as Mr Gray. Before error 12 I can see:

rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write x bytes

and then

Connection reset by peer (104)

I read somewhere that the ssh connection was stronger than rsync one
in unstable networks. And effectively, if I run rsync via ssh ( -e
option), the transfer happen without errors, on the same computer
using the same networking setup.

So, I'm now fighting with key pairing between the wireless host and
the server to do the rsync backup in batch mode without the need of
password.

I would like to know, if anybody knows, why the ssh connection is more
robust to network problems than rsync protocol and if it would be
possible to make rsync more "network problems proof". I have nothing
against ssh, but I don't need a secure tunneling in my lan. Plain
rsync would be far simpler for me.

Hope J. T. Gray can profit from my experience that isn't far from his.

Best regards,

Vitorio