Intermittent rsync Issues

J. T. Gray jtg at intarcorp.com
Wed Sep 15 13:10:47 MDT 2010

Greetings,

I posted this to a couple online forums already am am already doubting
anyone will be able to directly help me solve my problems.  So I am here to
query the experts directly:

> I have a number of rsync clients trying to connect to an rsync server
> routinely, and they're intermittently failing with one of a couple error
> messages.
>
> Either:
>
> 2010/09/15 13:45:23 [32143] rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes
> received so far) [Receiver] 2010/09/15 13:45:23 [32143] rsync error:
> unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(601) [Receiver=3.0.7]
>
> Or:
>
> 2010/09/15 13:40:01 [7617] rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes
> received so far) [Receiver] 2010/09/15 13:40:01 [7617] rsync error: error in
> rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(601) [Receiver=3.0.7]
>
> The current version of the rsync command I'm using is:
>
> rsync --rsync-path="/usr/bin/rsync" --stats --compress --times --links
> --log-file=/home/ubuntu/rsynclog.txt --exclude thatfile --recursive
> xxx.xx.xxx.xx:/home/ubuntu/utility_scripts/ /home/ubuntu/utility_scripts &
>
> I previously had --verbose and --progress but removed them after reading on
> another forum that someone had resolved some latency issues by removing
> those options. I've also tried this command in the form of a shell script,
> thinking perhaps the issue was that my rsync client was attempting to reuse
> an expired ssh connection. To that end, it fails seemingly at random whether
> using rsh or ssh. It periodically fails whether or not I do --del or
> --delete, --compress or not, --rsync-path or not.
>
> I cannot get the command to fail from the command line, but when it runs
> every minute, it fails 5-15 times an hour, depending on the directory being
> rsync'ed. The permissions and ownership appear to all be correct, and I'm
> not relying on any sort of environmental variables that would be causing the
> cron to fail. All of the relevant software packages (bash, rsync, ssh,
> Linux) are up to date, all key ports are open, and all clients do not fail
> simultaneously, suggesting this is not a server-side problem.

If anyone has any constructive feedback for resolving or troubleshooting
this/these issue/s, I am very interested in hearing it.

Thanks,
JTG