Multiple wildcards in source

Alex Cartwright alexc223 at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 29 14:52:10 MDT 2010

Unfortunately I have tried it without the quotes as well, with no luck.

$ sudo rsync -arv /home/*/domains/* /home/alex/foo/
[sudo] password for alex:
sending incremental file list
rsync: change_dir "/home/*/domains" failed: No such file or directory (2)

sent 18 bytes  received 12 bytes  60.00 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(1058)
[sender=3.0.3]

<alexc223 at googlemail.com>wrote:
> > rsync -arv '/home/*/domains/*' ~/
>
> That is a local copy, so you're quoting the wildcards tells the shell that
> they are literal characters in the filename.  If you want the shell to do
> wildcard expansion, unquote the argument.  The quotes would only be
> required if you need to send the wildcards to a remote host.
>
> ..wayne..

Regards
Alex Cartwright