How to sync an exact list of files, Including deletes!?

Steven Levine steve53 at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 20 17:37:58 MST 2010

In <AANLkTinDfc=z8O37KS9TCRLEqPEumYd4753f_3MFbS9M at mail.gmail.com>, on
11/20/10
   at 10:56 PM, Axel Kittenberger <axkibe at gmail.com> said:

Hi,

>While running, Lsyncd knows exactly which files need transfer and rsync's
>--files-from (with =- to get the filelist from stdin-pipe) sounds like an
>ideal solution for this, also to reduce the number of times rsync gets
>spawned. Coded that, now in beta stage there is a nasty problem, rsync
>refuses to accept deletions that way!

What might work for the deletes is a dynamically built --exclude-from list
in combination with --delete excluded and possibly --prune-empty-dirs.
I've never tried this with --files-from, but it should work as long as
non-existant source file does not cause a problem with the filter logic.

You should not need --recursive.  You just need the --exclude-from file to
contain full paths.

Steven