How to escape "()" characters in commad

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Sat Nov 6 23:16:46 MDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-11-06 at 20:09 -0700, rlinsurf wrote:
> I figured out how to change the filename so it doesn't have the ' in it:
>
> /usr/local/bin/rsync -avv --protect-args 'Jeffrey Ellis iPhone (Root)'/
> 'Macintosh HD'/Users/jeffrey/Downloads/iphone_backup
>
> But I'm still getting the same errors:
>

> rsync: readdir("/Volumes/Jeffrey Ellis iPhone
> (Root)/Applications/AdSheet.app/CodeResources"): No such file or directory
> (2)

Yes, and the error is telling you that the OS returned ENOENT from the
readdir system call.  The question is why, and that has to do with the
OS, not rsync.  Generally speaking, rsync is right to complain about a
system call failure because it has the potential to prevent rsync from
doing what the user asked, unless it indicates a condition that rsync
should handle in some other way.  Let us know if you determine the
latter to be the case.

Linux returns ENOENT from readdir if the directory has been deleted, so
that case would be just one more in which rsync handles concurrent
modifications to the source ungracefully, but I doubt that is what is
happening here.

--
Matt