Simple whole volume copy

J. Ellis jellis at dhnet.us
Wed May 26 20:00:03 MDT 2010

> Firstly, I would recommend that on both machines you compile and install a
> copy of the latest version of rsync with some Mac OS X specific patches the
> link below will assist you :
> http://www.lbackup.org/developer/rsync_hfs

My client is at 3.0.7. Although, I have to specify the directory as
/usr/local/bin/ before calling it, otherwise, I get 2.6.9.

> Finally, to be absolutely sure that all meta data is preserved you could
> consider a tool such as dd to copy the disk block by block. However, using a
> tool such as dd will mean that you will miss out on the benefits of a tool
> like rsync : <http://linux.die.net/man/1/dd>

Right. That's why I need rsync. I'm really not looking for a utility, but a
command line program which will do incremental backup, and rsync is the only
one I'm aware of that does that in Mac OS.

Best,
J.