rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far)

Bruce Korb bruce.korb at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 17:15:22 MDT 2010

Hi Matt,

Thank you again.

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Matt McCutchen <matt at mattmccutchen.net> wrote:
>> its 873 port -- as long as it will use a secure encrypted tunnel.
>
> The rsync daemon protocol on port 873 does not support encryption or
> integrity protection, so an rsync daemon over ssh may actually be just
> what you need.

OK.  I'll have to figure that one out later.

>> $ ls -l
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root         root         2451 2010-03-23 15:30 log.txt

Oops.  Fixed.  Still root owned, but mode is now 0666.

> Ah.  You have "use chroot = yes".  Most operating systems don't let
> unprivileged users call chroot, so that would result in an error.  An
> error message should be written to the log file, but it looks like the
> log file isn't writable by the "rsync-acct" user either.

Deleting the chroot line and changing the writable bits on the file had
no visible effect.  Still nothing written to the log file and the client failure
looks identical.  :(  Is there something more I can do on the server to
get more diagnostics?  Thanks!