rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far)

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Tue Mar 23 16:25:05 MDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 15:05 -0700, Bruce Korb wrote:
> Please forgive my digging up a two year old thread, but I've got the
> same problem, but the pointers there give no help.  This is using
> versions 3.0.6 (server) and 3.0.7 (client).
>
> Unfortunately, I have to type the client stuff in by hand.  ("Secured"
> laptop with highlighting & copying disabled.)  Anyway:
>
> $ rsync -vvvvvv -a -e ssh --recursive gdoc rsync-acct at 99.99.99.99::doc
> file_struct_len=16, extra_len=4
> opening connection ....
> note: iconv_open("UTF-8", "UTF-8") succeeded.
> sending daemon args: ..
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 byes received so far) [sender]
> [sender] _exit_cleanup(code=12, file=.../io.c, line=601): about to call exit(12)
>
> ==== Yet this works correctly:
>
> rsync -vvvvv -e ssh rsync-acct at 99.99.99.99::
> <<blah, blah, followed by the module list>>
>
> =========== The rsync daemon log file had no entries from
> this interchange, despite being started with a bunch of "v"s.

Are you certain that you transcribed both commands accurately?  As you
have written them here, both commands are using a single-use daemon
invoked over ssh (a daemon source or destination with "-e ssh"); is that
what you intend?  The error from the first command is consistent with
not having set up the rsyncd.conf file in the remote ssh user's home
directory.

--
Matt