mkstemp error (only a problem with newer rsync versions)

Henri Shustak henri.shustak at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 13:45:43 MST 2010

The setup...

             Transport is via SSH.
             BoxA : Ubuntu 8.10
             BoxB : Mac OS X 10.4.11

If I use rsync v2 to transfer data from BoxA to BoxB everything works fine. However, if I use rsync v3 to transfer the data, the following error is reported :

rsync: mkstemp "/path/to/somefile/file.pm.JKQczN" failed: No such file or directory (2)

If at all possible, I would like to use rsync v3 and make use of various additional features. As I switch between versions I am specifying the --rsync-path option to change the remote side of rsync.

This problem only occurs for files within a specific directory :
/usr/share/perl/5.10.0

Any suggestions, pointers, ideas would be very welcome.