--recursive and -H

Rob Thompson rob at wayne.edu
Sat Jun 26 19:27:38 MDT 2010

Aaah, thanks for the insight.  RSYNC must transfer the file regardless of the link count, but it also takes note of the missing link.  So, it probably considers an inode with multiple links "resolved" only after it finds a brother/sister link and deletes the duplicate.

This would be consistent w/ the man page:

"-H, --hard-links
If incremental recursion is active (see --recursive), rsync may transfer a missing hard-linked file before it finds that another link for that contents exists elsewhere in the hierarchy. This does not affect the accuracy of the transfer, just its efficiency"

Big props to those who code RSYNC, this stuff gets crazy ;)

-Rob

--
Rob Thompson, Systems Analyst
Enterprise Applications