RERR_PARTIAL exit status

Keith Hellman khellman at mcprogramming.com
Mon Jun 21 10:58:51 MDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 09:36:28AM -0400, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-06-17 at 13:46 -0600, Keith Hellman wrote:
> > I recently changed my backup script to invoke with rsync w/ -v -v and store
> > the output to (yet another) log file.  After a nightly backup I looked
> > at the results, and:
> >
> >   1. removed all the lines ending in ' is uptodoate$'
> >   2. removed all the lines with a space (presumably a log message
> > 	 causing RERR_PARTIAL would have a space in it)
> >   3. removed all the lines w/ ' [-=]> '
>
> Yes.  If rsync exits with RERR_PARTIAL without printing a specific
> message about the problem to stderr, it's a bug.
>
> I would suggest sending stdout and stderr to separate files, like this:
>
> rsync ... >rsync.out 2>rsync.err

SUMMARY:  not an rsync issue at all.

I suspect my original script modification was buggy, and I wasn't
actually catching the error stream.  Based on your suggestion, I re-worked
the code to catch stdout and stderr in separate files, presumably fixing
my first defect.

There it was staring at me in the face.  Corrupted file on the source
disk --- I couldn't event cat it without I/O error messages.

The rsync stdout, stderr distinct logs will stay in the script, they
would have reduced this multi-week debug process down to a few days.

Thanks for your help.
--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
khellman at mcprogramming.com                from disclaimer import standard
khellman at mines.edu
                                   -*-
                    public key @ pgp.mit.edu 9FCF40FD
    Y!M: mcprogramming                           AIM/ICQ: 485403897
   gtalk (xmpp jabber): mrtuple at jabber.org, jabber at mcprogramming.com
                                   -*-

A tuple, a dict, and a list,
And whitespace which mus'n't be missed.
Imported together,
And stirred with a feather,
Yields a language whose name must be hissed!

-- Python Limmerick Contest submission by Roy Smith
   http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/d7a780beaff2e88a/