rsync sleep

Eberhard Moenkeberg emoenke at gwdg.de
Sun Jun 6 16:18:06 MDT 2010

Hi,

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010, Mark Constable wrote:

>>> If you are concerned about giving the rest of the system
>>> some time to "breathe" then just nice the rsync process.
>>>
>>> nice -n 19 rsync ... etc
>>
>> This would not help, regarding i/o.
>
> Care to elaborate?
>
> It wasn't obvious whether Mag Gam was concerned about
> bandwidth usage or process usage and seeing that Benjamin
> already provided the --bwlimit hint I thought I would add
> a process friendly clue as well.

The real I/O gets done "outside" the rsync process, by the kernel.

SUSE had a tool named ionice earlier (probably it is gone meanwhile) which
really could delay I/O at the kernel phase.

Viele Gruesse
Eberhard Moenkeberg (emoenke at gwdg.de, em at kki.org)

--
Eberhard Moenkeberg
Arbeitsgruppe IT-Infrastruktur
Tel.:   +49 (0)551 201-1510            Fax:    +49 (0)551 201-2150
Geschaeftsfuehrer:           Prof. Dr. Bernhard Neumair
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dipl.-Kfm. Markus Hoppe
Sitz der Gesellschaft:     Goettingen
Registergericht:           Goettingen  Handelsregister-Nr. B 598