rsync & Time Zones

Frank Jaccarino fjaccarino at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 16:04:23 MDT 2010

Hello all,

As I continue to understand the nuances of using rsync for our business I am
now coming across some time zone questions I could use some guidance on.

My test environment is on a Windows 7 box using Cygwin for rsync.  The
production environment may or may not be a Linux box.  Just in case this
distinction matters.....

We are planning on using rsync to synchronize our local storage with cloud
storage and we would like to preserve timestamps.  What I've noticed is that
on a Windows machine, the timestamp of a file changes when the time zone
changes.  I can SFTP the same file using different time zones configurations
while preserving timestamps and this will affect the timestamp of the file
on the server in the cloud.  If I use rsync (and preserve the timestamp,
option -t), then the timestamp on the cloud server "appears" to be my
current time zone, regardless of my Windows time zone configuration.  I say
"appears" because I hesitate to make any assumption without having more
information on how rsync handles time zones and timestamps.  Does anyone
have any insight or details that I can read up on so I may understand how
rsync handles timestamps, time zones, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help

Frank