Getting rsync to store timing information in its logs

Henri Shustak henri.shustak at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 21:03:52 MDT 2010

> Is there a way to know from the rsync logs how long it took to do a backup?
>
> The only timing info,. I see is this at the end:
>
> sent 3067328 bytes  received 7853035429 bytes  1187888.83 bytes/sec
> total size is 1559866450336  speedup is 198.55

The latest alpha release of LBackup supports new configuration options allowing
the time required for various backup related operations to be reported.

One such option is enable human readable reporting on the timing of the
snapshot generation. Quoted below is an example of the output from the latest
alpha release.

> total size is 106717731958  speedup is 831.04
> Time required for snapshot generation : 0 days, 0 hours, 20 minutes, 17 seconds

The current granularity of the timing system mentioned above is 1 second. LBackup is using the the 'date' command to calculate timing.

If you are using the shell to measure the time required and you require increased granularity with simplicity, then I would recommend the use of the 'time' command.

A majority of this post is from the following LBackup discussion thread :
http://tinyurl.com/lbackup-discussion-human-read

Finally, I believe that 118788 bytes/sec is approximately 1.2 MB/sec

Hope this helps.