rsync algorithm

hce webmail.hce at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 22:43:19 MDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:35 PM,  <radius13a at me.com> wrote:
> How many of the files are changing?

Not many.

> If the file size and times haven't change then rsync won't be comparing things and calculating checksums.  When rsync sees that a file has changed then it compares checksums of the chunks to reduce the amount of data transferred over the network.

So the rsync actually check file size and mtime first, if the size and
mtime matches in both sides, the file is identical without further
compares the checksums and chunks.

Check file size makes sense, but how rsync checks times? If a file is
copied from one side to another remote side, the time will be
different, right?

Thanks.

Cheers.