[rsync] Using Protect filter on a merge rules file

Carlo Cancellieri ccancellieri at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 27 08:09:35 MST 2010

> Daemon filter rules only affect the daemon. So, if it is receiving
files, it will not delete files that are protected, but the client never
 sees any of the filter/exclude/include rules that are daemon-specific.

Thank you Wayne now my problem is clear. Man is a bit cryptic in this section (for me).

I already tried to use per directory filter but using --dry-run option (obviously) won't work... doing it in a test directory without the '-n' option all come's to work...

Thank you again,
C.C.
> Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 15:29:46 -0800
> Subject: Re: [rsync] Using Protect filter on a merge rules file
> From: wayned at samba.org
> To: ccancellieri at hotmail.com
> CC: rsync at lists.samba.org
>
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 4:13 AM, Carlo Cancellieri> wrote:
>
> So this should filter any file into bianco-home and protect any *thouch* file in the requesting client home (or not?)

The standard for rsync is for the client side to share its rules with the server, and the daemon is never the client.