invalid uid os x

John Abraham jea at hbaspecto.com
Fri Jan 22 14:54:45 MST 2010

I have a strange problem on OS X server.   I start the rsync daemon manually using
su
rsync --daemon

(or sudo rsync --daemon)

and it works for a while.  But eventually, when people try to connect, they get an "invalid uid" error.  The uid is the once specified in the profile in rsyncd.conf .

If I kill the daemon process (kill -9) then restart it, it all works again.

Anyone else run across this?

I need to restart the daemon every day or so.  It might have something to do with me logging out of OS X, then logging back in.  But it's rather strange.  And google isn't helping me.  I tried searching the web and the mailing list archives but didn't have any luck.

This is the default version of rsync on OS X snow leopard server, which is rsync  version 2.6.9  protocol version 29.  My rsync userids are local machine ID's, not LDAP ID's, but that shouldn't matter, I don't think.

--
John