RFE: ignore case of files

Thu Jan 21 05:16:19 MST 2010

On 2010-01-17 12:29 PM, Linda A. Walsh wrote:
> It would be 'nice' if there was an option for rsync to ignore case --
> Windows is real lax about what case files are, and often files will
> end up with different cases depending on what util installed a font
> last. When you transfer to linux, you end up with 2 (or more) copies
> of files with different case(s). Sometimes only the extension is
> different case, thus resulting in more than 2 possibilities. Anyway,
> would be handy to have such an option...:-)

There's a patch available, but Wayne refuses so far to make it a part of
the core code... which makes it very difficult for those of us less
technically inclined (you need to be able to recompile it with the
patch) who must backup windows boxes too.

I guess the patch is too intrusive and would make maintaining rsync
harder - at least thats the only reason I can think of to not include it.

--

Best regards,

Charles