Help with correct text file syntax EXCLUDE/INCLUDE + OPTION

nomnex nomnex at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 00:40:09 MST 2010

	Hi,
Linux-Ubuntu here. English is not my first language. The man rsync is
difficult to understand. I want to backup some folders recursively and
some files, see [1] in my /home dir to an external USB HD (Ext4). I want
to use a text file for the purpose.

[1]
/home/user/Documents
/home/user/Software

/home/user/.evolution/addressbook/local/system/addressbook.db
/home/user/.evolution/calendar/local/system/calendar.ics
/home/user/.evolution/memos/local/system/journal.ics
/home/user.evolution/tasks/local/system/tasks.ics

First (1st) attempt

[OPTION] --exclude-from=fileA

[SYNTAX] fileA

+ Documents
+ Documents/**
+ Software
+ Software/**
#
.evolution/addressbook/local/system/addressbook.db
.evolution/calendar/local/system/calendar.ics
.evolution/memos/local/system/journal.ics
.evolution/tasks/local/system/tasks.ics
#
- *

Output: Documents & Software folders: PASS. .evolution files: FAIL

Second (2nd) attempt

[OPTION] --files-from=fileB

[SYNTAX] fileB

Documents
Software
#
.evolution/addressbook/local/system/addressbook.db
.evolution/calendar/local/system/calendar.ics
.evolution/memos/local/system/journal.ics
.evolution/tasks/local/system/tasks.ics

Output: Documents & Software folders: PASS .evolution files: FAIL

QUESTIONS

What is the correct syntax of the text file
What is the correct option to use
What is the difference between --exclude-from vs include-from vs.
--files-from

I am thankful if you can provide easy to grasp examples and
explanations.
	Bye,
	nomnex