Another cygwin/rsync question

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Mon Jan 18 08:37:40 MST 2010

Hi, Been using rsync for many years but I'm stuck with this problem.

I'ts a simplistic backup using rsync from a Windows 2k3 machine to a
Linux box out on the 'net, using pre-shared ssh keys. In this case I'm
saving, files belonging to various users, using the administrator
account on the windows machine and the destination is a normal user
account and its home file area. I'm using the rsync --chown option to
stop rsync trying to change the ownership/mode on the destination
filesystem. I'm not bothered about saving the file perms/ownership.

If I do a small transfer of a couple of dozen files as a test, all goes
well.

The path of the source on the windows system has spaces in the name,
I've tried every type of escaping that I can think of to get the shells
to work properly. If I run rsync running on a larger batch of files it
seems to stall. Using the -vvv option I can see rsync, on the
windows.cygwin end, collecting a list of files prefixed by

[sender] make_file (filenames)

that I guess it is going to transfer and then this is followed by

recv_file_name (another filename)

Which I presume is the first file that it is transferring. That file is
a few hundred k so it won't take long, But rsync stalls at that point.
Cntrl C does nothing and I end up having to kill the rsync process.

I've tried

  rsync -avvvvz --progress --delete --chmod=ugo=rwX -e "ssh -i
/home/administrator/rsync-key" """"/cygdrive/c/Users Shared Folders""""
""""user at remotehost/home/user/backup/""""

  rsync -avvvvz --progress --delete --chmod=ugo=rwX -e "ssh -i
/home/administrator/rsync-key" """"/cygdrive/c/Users\ Shared\
Folders"""" """"user at remotehost:/home/user/backup/""""

rsync -avvvvz --progress --delete --chmod=ugo=rwX -e "ssh -i
/home/administrator/rsync-key" '"/cygdrive/c/Users\ Shared\ Folders"'
'"user at remotehost:/home/user/backup/"'

  rsync -avvvz --progress --delete --chmod=ugo=rwX -e 'ssh -i
/home/administrator/rsync-key' /cygdrive/c/Users\\\ Shared\\\ Folders
user at remotehost:/home/user/backup/

The cygwin rsync is v3.0.6 and the Linux (Centos) target machine has
rsync 2.6.8

Any ideas most welcome.

Thanks

Ken