rsync taking a while on really large files

Paul Slootman paul+rsync at wurtel.net
Fri Jan 15 13:43:41 MST 2010

On Fri 15 Jan 2010, David Trammell wrote:

> I saw the -W option, but I wasn't sure about how it behaves as the
> man pages don't have many details, and I thought there might be
> other options I missed.  For -W the man page just says "copy files
> whole (w/o delta-xfer algorithm)"

Take a moment to properly read the manpage, the above indicates you've
never gone beyond the option summary.
Further on, the options are discussed in detail:

-W, --whole-file
        With this option rsync’s delta-transfer algorithm  is  not  used
        and  the  whole file is sent as-is instead.  The transfer may be
        faster if this option is used when  the  bandwidth  between  the
        source  and destination machines is higher than the bandwidth to
        disk  (especially  when  the  "disk"  is  actually  a  networked
        filesystem).   This is the default when both the source and des‐
        tination are specified as local paths, but  only  if  no  batch-
        writing option is in effect.

Paul