rsync taking a while on really large files

David Trammell davidst at csc.lsu.edu
Fri Jan 15 11:46:27 MST 2010

 I could use an ordinary copying script for the mail files, but I figured if
rsync can do it in some more optimal way, I'll stick with it for simplicity
(since it's working great for the several hundred gigs of user files).

I saw the -W option, but I wasn't sure about how it behaves as the man pages
don't have many details, and I thought there might be other options I
missed.  For -W the man page just says "copy files whole (w/o delta-xfer
algorithm)"

Does that mean it will copy all files with no comparison, or does it at
least verify that there is some change to the file first?  I suppose either
way I can test it to see, which is faster, but if someone can clarify the
behavior I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
David