temp name for destination directory, move in place after successfull complete?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Jan 15 08:44:12 MST 2010

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 6:26 AM, Andreas Schildbach <andreas at schildbach.de>wrote:

> In short, I'd like to mimic the behaviour rync has on individual
> files (building them as .filename-random and then renaming them to
> filename) for the whole destination directory.

The only thing rsync currently supports is --delay-updates.  This option
makes rsync place completed files into a dot-subdir of your choice in each
directory of the transfer, and then, when the transfer is complete, it
renames all the changed files into place in rapid succession.  Other
options, such as using the support/atomic-rsync script, require you to be
running commands on the receiving side the transfer.