Lots of rsync daemons running

Jeroen van der Vegt jeroen.van.der.vegt at technolution.nl
Fri Jan 15 06:26:24 MST 2010

Hi all,

We use rsync to move data from various devices to a single server. Each of
these devices is powered off regularly (at least every day). On the server,
rsync 3.0.5 is started from xinetd with the --daemon argument. The clients
run rsync 3.0.4, protocol 30 (on ARM).

Today I noticed several rsync processes (23 to be exact) running on the
server since as long back as November 2009 (according to ps, and also
/proc/[pid]/stat ). As the clients run for at most a day, that's not what
I'd expect: I have no clue why some processes do not seem to terminate.

Is this a known issue? These processe are not causing any issues (that I
know of), and I can probably kill them without any problems. But is there
anything I should/could do to investigate this? All I saw so far is that all
rsync instances were in the 'sleeping' state, and the PPID was not xinetd's
PID, but 1.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van der Vegt
System designer
________________________________

Technolution B.V.
Telephone:         +31(0)182 59 40 00
Fax:              +31(0)182 53 97 36
E-mail:           Jeroen.van.der.Vegt at technolution.eu
Visit us at:      www.technolution.eu
Mailing address:  P.O. Box 2013 - 2800 BD Gouda - The Netherlands
Address:          Zuidelijk Halfrond 1 - 2801 DD Gouda - The Netherlands

This e-mail is intended exclusively for the addressee(s), and may not be
passed on to, or made available for use by any person other than the
addressee(s). Technolution B.V. rules out any and every liability resulting
from any electronic transmission.