temp name for destination directory, move in place after successfull complete?

Andreas Schildbach andreas at schildbach.de
Fri Jan 1 07:26:10 MST 2010

Hello everyone,

In --link-dest/--copy-dest/--compare-dest modes, I'd like to distinguish
between destination directories that have been completely rsynced and
the ones that are only partially synced because of a network failure.

In short, I'd like to mimic the behaviour rync has on individual files
(building them as .filename-random and then renaming them to filename)
for the whole destination directory.

Of course, I could instruct rsync to create .destination-random rather
than just destination. However, I think I cannot rename the temporary
directory after successfull completion via the rsync protocol (this
would need shell access or a mounted filesystem, both of which I want to
avoid).

Is there any way to do this magic with rsync, or maybe is there any
option that removes the whole destination again if something went wrong?

Best regards,

Andreas