Rsync / ssh high cpu load

Jan Alphenaar jan.alphenaar at dotcolour.com
Thu Feb 18 14:24:49 MST 2010

Hi,

Today I did another interesting test in an attempt to resolve this issue.
With Microsoft Process Explorer (downloadable from the Microsoft website) it
is possible to 'pause' and 'resume' processes.

When I start a rsync/ssh session to my server and pause the SSH process. The
rsync process consumes 100% CPU, while the IO is 0. In the case I pause
rsync and leave SSH running, there is no CPU load and no IO.

In the first case rsync cannot send any data into the SSH tunnel. I think
rsync goes into a CPU consuming loop while it waits for access to the SSH
tunnel. This is somehow the same as when rsync tries to send data with SSH
and it has to wait because it is exceeding the bwlimit variable.

The next step for me would be to dive into the rsync code, which is
something I really try to avoid at this moment.

Any volunteers ?

Regards,

Jan