Updating rsync version installed to new release

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Sun Feb 7 14:20:42 MST 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-05 at 11:44 -0800, Andrei_r20 wrote:
> Hi, I have rsync 3.0.1 installed on Fedora 9 distribution.
> I want to update rsync to it's new release which is 3.0.7.
>
> I am not exactly sure how to proceed...
>
> I saw some source code tar files on rsync home page, but I am not too sure
> what to do with those.
>
> The Linux machine I mention has no internet access.
>
> If somebody can provide a set of instructions on how to update rsyn to a
> newer version, I would appreciate.

You can install rsync from one of the source tar files.  A number of
good general guides are found via:

http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+installing+software+from+source

Alternatively, you could get the rsync RPM package from a newer version
of Fedora and rebuild it to work with the libraries on your machine:

yum install rpm-build
wget http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/12/SRPMS/rsync-3.0.7-1.fc12.src.rpm
rpmbuild --rebuild rsync-3.0.7-1.fc12.src.rpm
# Watch where the new RPM is placed and install it from there.

--
Matt