limiting the number of connections per client

Eberhard Moenkeberg emoenke at gwdg.de
Wed Feb 3 15:58:55 MST 2010

Hi,

please avoid top posting.
It needs "reconstruction" to see the history.

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010, Ali, Saqib wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Eberhard Moenkeberg <emoenke at gwdg.de> wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Feb 2010, Ali, Saqib wrote:
>>
>>> We have a very high utilization rsync server. We can handle large
>>> number of connections at a time, but would like to limit to one
>>> connection per client. we don't want multiple connections from the
>>> same client. Is that possible?
>>
>> With the help of xinetd.
>>
>> Example:
>>
>> ftp5:2 22:39:02 ~ # cat /etc/xinetd.d/rsync
>> # default: off
>> service rsync
>> {
>>        socket_type     = stream
>>        protocol        = tcp
>>        wait            = no
>>        user            = root
>>        server          = /usr/sbin/rsyncd
>>        instances       = 999
>>        per_source      = 19
>>        server_args     = --daemon
>> #       disable         = yes
>> }
>> ftp5:2 22:39:03 ~ #

> Thanks for the quick response. Can you please explain how this would
> work? I am not very familiar with xinet.d, and I don't see a rsync
> file in the /etc/xinetd.d/ dir.

You just do not start rsyncd autonomously during boot, but "only"
xinetd.

xinetd will handle all incoming connections for which a configuration file
in /etc/xinetd.d/ exists. So your rsyncd gets started by xinetd, and
xinetd will obey f.e. instances and per_source before starting a next
rsyncd instance.

Viele Gruesse
Eberhard Moenkeberg (emoenke at gwdg.de, em at kki.org)

--
Eberhard Moenkeberg
Arbeitsgruppe IT-Infrastruktur
Tel.:   +49 (0)551 201-1510            Fax:    +49 (0)551 201-2150
Geschaeftsfuehrer:           Prof. Dr. Bernhard Neumair
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dipl.-Kfm. Markus Hoppe
Sitz der Gesellschaft:     Goettingen
Registergericht:           Goettingen  Handelsregister-Nr. B 598