Problem retrieving file starting with '-' character from top of repository

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Dec 23 22:45:14 MST 2010

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 1:13 AM, Tim Bruijnzeels <tim at ripe.net> wrote:

> The - is still there so why is it now not seen as an argument?

Because the dash is not at the start of the path.

I still believe I should not have to worry about this though.

Yeah, I am thinking that it would be good for rsync to protect filenames
that start with a dash by putting a "./" in front of such names for the
user. The only potential issue with doing that is that an advanced user may
have taken advantage of this argument parsing to send options to the remote
rsync (rather than using something like --rsync-path, or the upcoming
--remote-option).  I do also note that --protect-args didn't protect against
dash interpretation like I was thinking that it did.  I think I'll go ahead
and commit such a change, since it makes basic functioning more rational.