rsync server: "incoming chmod" usage

rsync at catcons.co.uk rsync at catcons.co.uk
Wed Dec 15 07:54:40 MST 2010

Hello :-)

According to my reading of the rsyncd.conf man page, "incoming chmod"
accepts comma-separated "chmod" strings as defined by the chmod(1) man page
optionally prefixed by D or F to make them apply to directories or files.

The local chmod(1) man page does not mention strings.  It refers to modes
which may be symbolic or octal/numeric.  Accordingly I tried
incoming chmod = D755,F644
but this resulted in 'Invalid "incoming chmod" directive: D755,F644'.
Should I report an issue with the rsync man pages suggesting that either
"strings" is changed to "symbolic modes" or that rsync is enhanced to
support octal/numeric modes?

Next I tried the symbolic equivalent
incoming chmod = Du=rwx,g=rx,o=rx,Fu=rw,g=r,o=r
This time there was no error message from rsync but neither did the
directories get rx permission; less permissions were set than without the
"incoming chmod".

Next I tried
incoming chmod = Du+rwx,g+rx,o+rx,Fu+rw,g+r,o+r
This set 755 on the directories but also on the files.

Netsearching for usage examples I only found "incoming chmod" only used with
symbolic modes with + or - so I tried
incoming chmod = Du+rwx,g+rx,o+rx,Fa-x
This gave the desired result.

Versions
========
Server:
Slackware64 13.1
rsync  version 3.0.7  protocol version 30
Capabilities:
    64-bit files, 64-bit inums, 64-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
    socketpairs, hardlinks, symlinks, IPv6, batchfiles, inplace,
    append, ACLs, xattrs, iconv, symtimes

Client
Windows XP Pro SP2
Running in VirtualBox 3.2.12 virtual machine
cwrsync 4.0.5

Should I report the above as a defect?

Best

Charles