Simple Question

Henri Shustak henri.shustak at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 03:49:26 MST 2010

> I have been using rsync on my laptop for some time to safeguard an
> extensive image collection.
> My usage has been: .. rsync -av --delete ~/Pictures /media/disk
> I have found this exceptionally fast ... just as advertised!
>
> I now have set up a new computer system where I want to back up my /home
> to a sata drive.
> My phrase for this is: .. rsync -av --delete /home/david /media/Sata
> Which appears to be identical to my earlier usage .. but .. rsync
> appears to be totally rewriting the backup and instead of being able to
> get a quick refresh, the backup is now taking an hour or more.
>
> Any idea what is going on?

On which operating system are you executing rsync? If you are using Mac OS X, often permissions are ignored on non-boot drives by default.

Information on enabling permissions is available from the following URL (Instructions at the following link are specific for Mac OS X systems) : <http://www.lbackup.org/permissions>

This is just one possible reason you are having issues.