rysnc failure

keropen keropen at tnde.org
Mon Apr 26 07:06:02 MDT 2010

mm_half3 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been using rsync to  sync data from 1 ftp server to a backup ftp
> server.  Both servers are Solaris 10 X86, and the file systems being
> synced are  a few hundred zfs user data file-systems under the parent/root
> ftp area.  I noticed an unexpected problem in the sync log files, one of
> the user data directories had bumped up against it's quota, and failed to
> write the data.  That is expected, what was unexpected was the entire
> rsync process died with this error, and the remaining user file systems
> in the rsync job, about 100 or so did not get written.  Is it normal for
> rsync to terminate an entire session if it runs into a quota issue on one
> of the file systems it is syncing?  Here is the error lines from the rsync
> session
>

> sync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes to socket [sender]:
> Broken pipe (32)
> rsync: write failed on "xxxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/xxxx : Disc quota exceeded (49)
> rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(302)
> [receiver=3.0.6]
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (271703 bytes received so far)
> [sender]
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(600)
> [sender=3.0.6]
>

> Note this was the only file-system in the rsync job that was out of space.
> I expected that if this ever happened an error would be output, then the
> rest of the job would continue.   Maybe it has something to do with zfs,
> or that I am syncing hundreds of file systems with one rsync command that
> is syncing the hierarchical root of them e.g.:
>

> /usr/local/bin/rsync -av --exclude='*lost+found*' --delete
> --rsync-path="/usr/local/bin/rsync" /opt/ftp/ user@$FtP_backup:/opt/ftp/
>

> Any comments/advice is appreciated.

I would split the sync job into many, one per user/hierarchy. This way, you
can isolate where the error occurred, and you would be able to back up the
other users data.

If rsync could be configured to ignore errors, it wouldn't save you work
because

- you would have to rerun the whole job
- you would have to examine the error log, do the same split into
user/hierarchy to determine the location of the error

ker.