rysnc failure

mm_half3 mm_half3 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 22 19:45:28 MDT 2010

Hello,

I have been using rsync to  sync data from 1 ftp server to a backup ftp
server.  Both servers are Solaris 10 X86, and the file systems being synced
are  a few hundred zfs user data file-systems under the parent/root ftp
area.  I noticed an unexpected problem in the sync log files, one of the
user data directories had bumped up against it's quota, and failed to write
the data.  That is expected, what was unexpected was the entire rsync
process died with this error, and the remaining user file systems  in the
rsync job, about 100 or so did not get written.  Is it normal for rsync to
terminate an entire session if it runs into a quota issue on one of the file
systems it is syncing?  Here is the error lines from the rsync session

sync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes to socket [sender]: Broken
pipe (32)
rsync: write failed on "xxxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/xxxx : Disc quota exceeded (49)
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(302) [receiver=3.0.6]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (271703 bytes received so far)
[sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(600)
[sender=3.0.6]

Note this was the only file-system in the rsync job that was out of space.
I expected that if this ever happened an error would be output, then the
rest of the job would continue.   Maybe it has something to do with zfs, or
that I am syncing hundreds of file systems with one rsync command that is
syncing the hierarchical root of them e.g.:

/usr/local/bin/rsync -av --exclude='*lost+found*' --delete
--rsync-path="/usr/local/bin/rsync" /opt/ftp/ user@$FtP_backup:/opt/ftp/

Any comments/advice is appreciated.