Character escaping in item name

Richard Taubo ort at bergersen.no
Mon Apr 19 06:48:01 MDT 2010

Hi!

In the rsync man page under " -8, --8-bit-output", it says:
	. . .
	All control characters (but never tabs) are always escaped, regardless of this option's setting.
	The escape idiom that started in 2.6.7 is to output a literal backslash (\) and a hash (#),
	followed by exactly 3 octal digits.  For example, a newline would output as "\#012".
	A literal backslash that is in a filename is not escaped unless it is followed by a hash and 3 digits (0-9).

Is there a list somewhere where I can find:
	a) Which control characters will be escaped?
	b) What digits the escaped control characters will get?

I was thinking b) would be the similar to the appropriate ascii code,
but since LF has ascii code 10 and CR har ascii code 13,
I was having problems finding the right code e.g. "\#012" for newline.

Thanks for your help! :-)

Richard Taubo