rsync with --link-dest=DIR

Martin rsync at chaos-net.de
Sun Apr 18 08:57:16 MDT 2010

Hi,

i use rsync version 2.6.9  protocol version 29 on Mac OS X 10.6.3 and expierienced the following problem.

When using --link-dest=DIR with DIR on the startup volume everything works fine.
If DIR is a volume on an external drive many files are copied instead of creating hard links.
hardlinks are create e.g. fom .jpg files and from .rtf files but not from .doc files and many other files.

The external drive is hfs+ formatted as the start volume is.

I tried to install rsync 3.0.7. This works if I don´t apply patches, but the main problem doesn´t change.

When I try to install the patches by running "patch -b -p1 <patches/*" from the build directory many patches fail.
I think this is, because the patches must be applied in a special order but I am not really experienced in this.

I also compiled a version with only the fileflags.diff and rtimes.diff (I took this from the macports Portfile.
This works, but the resulting binary also recopies many files instead of creating the hardlinks.

My questions:
1. How can I apply all patchfiles from the patches directory?
2. Can I expect that the creation of hardlinks on external drives then will work?
3. What else could I do to make it work?

Thanks in advance and best regards
Martin