osx 10.6 strange rsync errors

Robert DuToit rdutoit at comcast.net
Mon Apr 5 16:09:58 MDT 2010

On Apr 5, 2010, at 1:28 PM, Matt McCutchen wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-04-03 at 18:12 -0400, Robert DuToit wrote:
>> I have been getting reports from users of backuplist+, my wrapper
>> application for rsync (currently with build of 3.0.6), about odd
>> behavior after updating to OS 10.6 Snow Leopard.
>>
>> Basically: the problem occurs backing up a directory to a local
>> mounted network volume. Previously all worked fine but after updating
>> to 10.6 there are reports that no files get copied and the destination
>> fills up with thousands (yes thousands) of .DS-Store files which on
>> OSX are invisible and carry metadata about the directory that contains
>> them (usually just one per directory...)
>
> In order to investigate this phenomenon from the rsync side, we'll need
> strace output (or whatever the Mac equivalent is).

Matt

Not sure what Strace is... would that be the Mac console and crash reporter logs? I am trying to get some more verbose rsync error reporting from users.

So far it seems rsync is reporting missing files (the hidden dot files on the mac) and then mysteriously creating thousands of hidden files into directories. These are files that don't exist - they are being created somehow! It gets worse and worse apparently. I'll rig up a network myself and get back to you with some details of what is happening.

Rob