Proposed tweaks

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Tue Sep 15 21:35:11 MDT 2009

On 9/15/2009 9:48 PM, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 21:13 -0400, Lee Winter wrote:
>> The purpose of this note is to inquire about your collective interest
>> in optimizing rsync for certain uses, particularly atomic,
>> unidirectional transfers with few or single writer and many, often
>> very many, readers.
>>
>> After studying the requirements and the documentation on samba.org I
>> have reached the tentative conclusion that serious improvements can be
>> obtained with a few small tweaks and one medium-sized internal change.
>
> Would you care to elaborate to attract more comments?

  I dug into the code a little bit based on ms at citd.de comment about modifying
wget.  His changes are sufficiently encapsulated that I believe we could put
them, or very close relative, into rsync.  Unfortunately, my hands gave out
earlier today and I need to give them about a day's rest before I touch anything
vaguely resembling code.  the places to hack in rsync are in options.c (~733)
and io.c after approximately line 1014.

Options.C. is mostly setting up of the initial bandwidth limit global.  I owe.C.
would need the addition of a new function for the time detection and great
change.  That would come from the wget changes reasonably intact.

It's probably a small number of hours for someone whose hands work and whose
knowledge of C isn't 15 years rusty.