rsync deleted all my important docs...

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Sun Sep 13 14:53:52 MDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-09-12 at 18:22 -0300, Carlos Carvalho wrote:
> Sanjay Acharya (svacharya76 at gmail.com) wrote on 11 September 2009 11:02:
>  >How is rsync supposed to behave when I give the --delete-excluded?
>
> >From the manual for the --delete option:
>
>    If the sending side detects any I/O errors, then the deletion of
>    any files at the destination  will  be  automatically  disabled.
>    This  is  to  prevent temporary filesystem failures (such as NFS
>    errors) on the sending side causing a massive deletion of  files
>    on   the   destination.

Unfortunately, this safety feature is partially disabled when rsync uses
protocol 30 (default for rsync 3.0.*) with incremental recursion and
--delete-during, because it caused a deadlock that could not be fixed
without breaking protocol compatibility; see commit
deea1f70bd67c6cc9249def9164f5e61e786e845 .

So Sanjay, if you're having problems with IO errors, I would suggest
disabling incremental recursion with --no-i-r or using the current
development rsync (which supports protocol 31, which has the issue
resolved) on both sides.

--
Matt