rsync deleted all my important docs...

Sanjay Acharya svacharya76 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 12:02:28 MDT 2009

How is rsync supposed to behave when I give the --delete-excluded? Recently I
lost several of my important documents because of a corrupted file system on
the source. Here are some logs,

* Rsync gets an IO error on one of the folders,

--
rsync: readlink_stat("/mnt/raid-backup/Documents/Finance") failed:
Input/output error (5)

* It starts deleting all my financial documents,

--
deleting Documents/Finance/Tax/2005/2005_Kansas_Return.pdf
deleting Documents/Finance/Tax/2005/2005_Federal_Return.pdf

Am I doing something wrong in giving the --delete option?