Using rsync for buidling Oracle standbys.

Andrew Gideon c182driver1 at gideon.org
Thu Sep 3 14:32:14 MDT 2009

On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 16:23:24 -0400, Matt McCutchen wrote:

> but the non-atomicity of read(2) calls was not considered

If a frozen snapshot is constructed, then I don't see how read()'s
inatomicity (if that's a word {8^) would matter.

However, I see a related issue.

My experience with DB engines is that it is desirable to store journal
and data on separate volumes.  I'm aware of no tool which can take an
instantaneous snapshot of two (or more) independent volumes.  This leaves
the journal and data potentially out of sync.

On the other hand, I recall that Oracle has its own replication engine
for this purpose.  As much as I like rsync, wouldn't it make more sense
to use the Oracle-provided mechanism?

	- Andrew