unpack_smb_acl unknown error, + rsync maintainability

Mike Bombich mike at bombich.com
Wed Sep 2 12:53:29 MDT 2009

Oh, yeah.  Well, "it depends".  If the two machines in question share
the same directory service, then I might want rsync to refuse to
create an ACE with an invalid UUID.  If, OTOH, I'm backing up my home
directory to another machine on my network and the two machines do not
share a Directory Service, I would want it to preserve the UUID.  In
that case, upon the restore the then-valid UUID would be properly
restored.  Personally, I'd prefer the ACE was always preserved, and
perhaps have a message printed that reports the error.  For example:

if (verbose > 1 && mbr_uuid_to_id(*uup, u_g_id_p, &id_type) == ENOENT)
	rprintf(FINFO, "Invalid user or group identifier in access control
entry for %s\n", full_fname(fname));

That would give the end user the opportunity to find the erring file
and remove the bad entry, if that's what they want to do.

 From the security perspective, the likelihood of having a UUID map to
another (e.g. a different) valid user on the remote machine is fairly
unlikely.  Mac OS X does have several users defined with generic UUIDs
(e.g. _www on Snow Leopard is FFFFEEEE-DDDD-CCCC-BBBB-AAAA00000046),
but those are defined universally on Mac OS X, so these wouldn't
(shouldn't) introduce conflicts.

Mike